Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mr. Olawale Lawal's Challenger 2009 Experience

CHALLENGER 2009 LEADERSHIP PROGRAMME

The "CHALLENGER 2009 Leadership Programme" was a blend of challenging, interesting, fun-filled, educative, spirit-uplifting, and eventful experience. According to the initiator and organizer of the programme (Adventurer Oludare Akinbo), it was primarily meant to be a programme to inculcate leadership qualities in young adults of the United Church of God, Nigeria Congregation. I found the programme meeting this objective perfectly.

One striking thing I'll always appreciate about the programme is the beauty of unadulterated nature. Beholding the beautiful scenery of mountains and hills, interspersed with green vegetation, streams and lakes, couple with cool breeze devoid of urban contamination, made me to really appreciate nature, and the Creator of nature (i.e. GOD) better. Observing the sunrise and sunset from a high altitude was another striking natural beauty to me, which I really appreciate GOD for. I always enjoy viewing the snapshots of the sunrise and sunset on my mobile phone. Observing Sabbath Worship/Service under the mountain shades, and enveloped by cool natural breeze was spirit-rejuvenating!

The climbing of mountains with heavy backpack was not an easy task, but we were able to surmount the challenge, with encouragement from fellow adventurers on the trip. This taught me that a leader must be ready to survive in all circumstances, NEVER giving up at the slightest challenge. 

I learnt that a good leader does not see problems, but challenges. When one views a problem as a challenge, one is encouraged to provide solution to the seemingly problematic situation. All the hassles we faced on the journey, such as vehicle breakdown, delay in getting to the programme venue were all teaching us lesson about endurance. 

I also enjoyed the buffet night in which we gathered together all the food cooked individually by participants. We really had a sumptuous meal that night. What a memorable night of "Rice Pororo".

One major challenge that I faced during the programme was the discomfort I went through in breathing at high altitude. I observed some cracks on my nose, coupled with a peppery sensation in my nostrils. I need to prepare better next time. Above all, I can confidently say: NO REGRETS!!!

Olawale N. LAWAL is a Lecturer at the Dept. of Computer Technology, Yaba College of Technology, Lagos, Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment