Monday, October 18, 2010

Miss Mary William's Challenger 2009 Experience

I wish to express my gratitude for the opportunity to be part of the challenger 2009. It was indeed an unforgettable experience with lots of first time memories.
I remember how my primary challenge started a few minutes after we left Ijora park, when the bus got stuck in traffic for more than 3hrs. The Bus broke down in three states along the way and we wasted hours, almost the entire night on the road side while they tried to do repairs.  During these unplanned circumstances I was so surprised that none of my team members complained, I remember peeping at Mr. Akinbo on several occasions but was always surprised at his calmness each time I peeped. This whole thing taught patience because that’s one thing I don’t have. When I plan things I don’t always appreciate anything different from what I’ve planned. Each time I grumbled Yemisi would tell me I’m owing him 20 naira, he was referring to the piece Mr. Akinbo sent some time ago with the title “grumbling to grateful” so I decided since it will be costing me some cash if I grumble, then I don’t need to.

When we got to Jos, I began to understand the reality of what the bible meant by God’s ways are not man’s ways. The journey we took by bus was initially planned to be taken on foot if we had gotten Jos earlier than we did, and it was some distance! It would have been a 3 hour trek to base camp had we arrived earlier, but we had to take a bus for the trip as we arrived very very late! What a blessing I thought! (Laughs)

We left Manguna village to the mountain to set up our tents with our heavy back packs on our backs. I found myself going with ease mostly due to the inspiration of seeing others around me. I didn't feel like I was suffering or being punished because I wasn’t the only one carrying  heavy packs and climbing hills, I learnt there that if you find yourself going through anything you don’t find pleasant, you should know in another part of the world, someone is going through the same or even worse, because most times in our life’s when we are facing any difficulty, just as we got stuck in the bus, instead of thanking God for making it bearable they start asking God why, wondering about people flying from place to place, forgetting that some people are trekking somewhere else. I was grateful we were flying back to Lagos, a mere one hour and a half as compared to the over 24 hours we used on the way in. It should have been a 16-17hrs drive down though.

Another lesson was derived from our journey back to Manguna after setting our tents, when we had to go through bush and rocks, I learnt in practical terms that there must always be another way even if it seems like there is none.

26th December was Sabbath day, so we had a lot of time to rest after the service and bible study where I learnt from the Pastor’s sermon that we should always accept the hand dealt to us and make the best out of it rather than sit back complaining about life not being fair.  It was an important message which is supposed to reset our mindset from wishing we were somewhere else rather than reshaping where we are to suit us. I also got the message during bible study, where we learnt as a woman not to miss the main point and avoid focusing our attention on irrelevant matters.

My biggest lesson came from this day, Sunday 27th of December 2009, that was during  the rock climbing activity. The journey to site was endless, the journey that took us roughly 30 mins coming back via a more direct route to base camp actually took more than 3hrs! We went on a roundabout route! I understood Mr. Akinbo was building our resilience, patience and strength, and that is exactly what God does. Most times when we are praying for a particular thing and taking ages for a reply from God, it’s actually not because He doesn’t want to do it, he is simply testing how patient we can actually be.

While at the rock climbing site, when others were trying to climb I kept telling Yemisi I wanted to get to the top, so when it got to my turn, I was determined to do it, though I didn’t achieve it alone. While I was climbing, looking for handholds and trying to solve the rock face problem, I was listening to suggestions, when I applied the suggestions, I got my problems solved. When it was time to come down, I had to listen to instructions from the belayer in whose hands my life was then.  It was a big lesson on trust and I think I was able to because I had had time in days past to grow in trusting her. 

What I learnt was something big….if we are determined most times we will always overcome, we should trust our instincts but be ready to admit when it is obvious we need help. If I hadn’t decided I needed help I would not have been able to solved parts of the climb. Most times we have to listen to God’s instructions and equally trust him knowing he could not mislead us. If had not listened and trusted the belayer I couldn’t have had a successful rappel down, maybe I won’t be typing this mail now..lol.

Apart from these lesions, I also had the opportunity to mingle and interact with other team members, to know them personally and it was during these processes that I got to know how Lola Ibirogba is very motivating. There was never a dull moment with her. It was indeed an unforgettable experience and a well appreciated one too. 

---- Account written by Mary Williams, Lagos, Nigeria. Challenger 2009 and upcoming 2010 Team Member. Mary is a strong, God fearing Single Lady working and living in Lagos, Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment